At St Mark’s CE Primary, our curriculum is based on the belief that every child should be provided with an equal opportunity to take ownership of and become masters of their own learning.
All children should have access to a curriculum that is stimulating and enjoyable and appropriate to their level of ability. You can find our full curriculum at https://studentshare.net/english. This will enable them to achieve their full potential. We believe that every child is capable of anything.
We enable our children to achieve our curriculum beliefs by:
- having a structured and well paced creative curriculum that demonstrates year on year progression
- supporting children in the development of their skills of investigation, experimentation and application of their thinking
- providing children with rich and deep questioning that probes their understanding of key concepts, skills and ideas
- ensuring that children confidently produce work and statements in different ways which demonstrates their learning and progression.
At our school, ‘learning is not a race, children secure learning at the right pace’. (Teaching Assistant quote).
SMSC & British Values
We are also committed to ensuring that our children develop well spiritually, morally, socially and culturally (SMSC). We do this through activities and explicit teaching that includes:
– providing children with opportunities to use their imagination and creativity in their learning
– enabling children to be reflective about their own beliefs and those of others so that they develop an interest in and respect for others
– ensuring that children recognise the difference between right and wrong and in doing so, understanding the consequences of their behaviour and actions
– showing an interest and playing an active part in artistic, sporting and cultural opportunities
– providing children with the tools to become increasingly socially skilled to mix with children and people from all faiths and backgrounds
These core SMSC principles are part of the values by which we live our lives in Modern day Britain and principles which we hope will help prepare our children to increasingly become successful 21st century citizens. Click on the link below to see the types of activities that are undertaken to promote British Values and SMSC at our school.